NOAA Fisheries is soliciting nominations for the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species Southeast Data, Assessment, and Review Workshops—better known as the SEDAR Pool—Advisory Panel. Selected members will serve a five-year term beginning in 2020.
Individuals in the SEDAR Pool may participate in the various data, assessment, and review workshops associated with shark stock assessments. If selected to participate in a workshop, members of the SEDAR Pool would consider the scientific information, including data and models, used in stock assessments and advise NOAA Fisheries about the conservation and management of Atlantic sharks.
In 2020, NOAA Fisheries intends to finish the currently ongoing Atlantic blacktip shark assessment. We then intend to begin a research track assessment for the hammerhead shark species in the hammerhead shark management group. Any meetings or workshops needed for these assessments will be determined according to SEDAR Guidelines.
Individuals interested in recreational and commercial fishing and related industries, as well as members of the environmental community, academia, and non-governmental organizations will be considered for membership. Nominations are invited from all individuals and constituent groups.
Nomination packages should be submitted by email, fax, or mail by December 18, 2019.
- Email: SEDAR.email@example.com.
- Fax: (301) 713-1917.
- Mail: Karyl Brewster-Geisz, Highly Migratory Species Management Division, NMFS, 1315 East-West Highway, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
Nomination packages should include:
- The name, address, phone, and email of the applicant or nominee.
- A description of the applicant’s or nominee’s interest or expertise in Atlantic shark stock assessments or the fishery.
- A statement of the applicant’s or nominee’s background and qualifications.
- A written commitment that the applicant or nominee shall participate actively and in good faith in the tasks of the SEDAR Pool.