- The recreational harvest of the snapper-grouper deep-water complex in South Atlantic federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, December 11, 2019.
- The deep-water complex consists of yellowedge grouper, silk snapper, misty grouper, queen snapper, sand tilefish, and blackfin snapper.
- Recreational harvest will open at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2020.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2019 recreational catch limit is 38,628 pounds whole weight.
- Recreational landings have exceeded the recreational catch limit; therefore, recreational harvest must close.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- During the recreational closure, the bag and possession limits of deep-water complex species in or from federal waters are zero.
- The prohibition on harvest or possession of deep-water complex species applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal charter vessel/headboat permit for South Atlantic snapper-grouper.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#_top.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750