- The 2021 recreational harvest of golden tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on September 20, 2021.
- All harvest or possession of golden tilefish in or from South Atlantic federal waters is now prohibited, as the commercial fishing season is also closed for 2021.
Why This Closure Is Happening:
- The 2021 golden tilefish recreational catch limit is 2,316 fish. Reports indicate that recreational landings have reached the 2021 recreational catch limit. The accountability measure requires recreational harvest to close when the recreational catch limit has been reached. This closure is necessary to protect the golden tilefish population.
During The Closure:
- The bag and possession limits for golden tilefish in or from South Atlantic federal waters are zero.
- Recreational harvest for the 2022 fishing year in South Atlantic federal waters will open at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2022.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#se50.12.622_1193.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts – Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750