The 2023 recreational harvest of hogfish in federal waters of the South Atlantic off Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina will close at 12:01 a.m., (local time), on September 26, 2023.
Why This Closure Is Happening:
The 2023 recreational catch limit for the Georgia to North Carolina hogfish stock is 988 fish. Reports indicate that recreational landings have reached the 2023 recreational catch limit. Federal regulations for the accountability measure requires a closure of recreational harvest when the recreational catch limit has been reached. This closure is necessary to protect the hogfish population.
During The Closure:
- The bag and possession limits for hogfish in or from South Atlantic federal waters off Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina are zero.
- Recreational harvest for the 2024 fishing year in South Atlantic federal waters off Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina will open at 12:01 a.m., (local time,) on January 1, 2024.
- This closure does not affect the east Florida/Florida Keys hogfish stock.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#se50.12.622_1193.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts – Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information, contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202