- Recreational harvest of golden tilefish in South Atlantic federal waters will close at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on August 28, 2018. Recreational harvest in federal waters will reopen at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2019.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018 recreational annual catch limit is 2,187 fish. Reports indicate that recreational landings have reached the 2018 annual catch limit for the recreational sector.
- According to the regulations, NOAA Fisheries must close the harvest when the annual catch limit has been reached. This closure is necessary to protect the golden tilefish population.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- Recreational harvest or possession of golden tilefish in or from the federal waters of the South Atlantic is prohibited.
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels which have a valid charter/headboat permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper.
- Commercial harvest or possession of golden tilefish in or from federal waters is also prohibited.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA’s Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!