- The 2019/2020 Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) commercial quota for the king mackerel gillnet component is 530,043 lbs.
- The use of run-around gillnets for king mackerel is restricted to the Gulf southern zone (see map below).
- The commercial harvest reduction is effective with the start of the 2019/2020 fishing season, January 21, 2020.
WHY THIS REDUCTION IS HAPPENING:
- The latest report for 2018/2019 Gulf king mackerel gillnet commercial landings indicates 631,257 lbs were harvested; 45,357 lbs greater than the 2018/2019 quota.
- Commercial post-season accountability measures require a reduction in the next fishing year’s quota by the amount of the previous year’s quota overage.
- As a result, the 2019/2020 quota is reduced from 575,400 lbs to 530,043 lbs.
- This action is necessary to protect the king mackerel population and prevent overfishing.