NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fisherman that the Gulf of Mexico gray triggerfish and greater amberjack recreational fishing seasons re-open on August 1, 2018, at 12:01 a.m., local time.
For Gray Triggerfish:
- The recreational fixed closed seasons are January 1 through the end of February and June 1 through July 31.
- Continued fishing for gray triggerfish will depend on the level of landings. When landings reach or are expected to reach the recreational annual catch limit, the season will be closed until March 1, 2019. If a closure is necessary, NOAA Fisheries will publish a bulletin alerting fishermen of the date and time.
- The recreational bag limit is one gray triggerfish per angler per day within the 20-reef fish aggregate bag limit.
- The recreational minimum size limit is 15 inches fork length.
For Greater Amberjack:
- The fishing season was changed in 2017 to be August 1 through July 31. The recreational fixed closed seasons are November 1 through April 30 and June 1 through July 31.
- The recreational bag limit is one greater amberjack per angler per day.
- The recreational minimum size limit is 34 inches fork length.
- Federally permitted for-hire captains and crew are prohibited from retaining the bag limit of greater amberjack, groupers, or red snapper while under charter.
For All Reef Fish:
- Federally permitted for-hire reef fish vessels must comply with the more restrictive of federal or state reef fish regulations when fishing for reef fish in state waters.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!