NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fishermen that the Gulf of Mexico greater amberjack recreational fishing season will not reopen for the month of May 2023. The recreational fishing season will reopen August 1, 2023, at the start of the 2023/2024 fishing year.
What this Means:
- The recreational fishing year for greater amberjack is August 1 through July 31 as set by the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council and implemented by NOAA Fisheries.
- An emergency rule implemented by NOAA Fisheries on July 25, 2022, and extended on January 23, 2023, temporarily modified the recreational greater amberjack fixed closed season to be August 1-31 and November 1 - July 31 (open September 1 – October 31) for the 2022/2023 recreational fishing year.
- Recreational greater amberjack fishing in the 2022/2023 fishing year for the month of May will remain closed due to the extension of the emergency rule.
- The 2023/2024 recreational greater amberjack fishing season will reopen on August 1, 2023.
Where can I find more information on the Greater Amberjack Emergency Rule?
- Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Kelli O’Donnell
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
- The Emergency Rule to Modify the Greater Amberjack Fixed Closed Season Environmental Assessment may be found online at the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office Web site at: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/action/emergency-action-modification-greater-amberjack-recreational-fixed-closed-season.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750