NOAA Fisheries reminds recreational fishermen of multiple upcoming Gulf of Mexico species openings and closures in Federal waters.
- Recreational harvest of red grouper will close at 12:01 am, local time, on July 21, 2023. The 2024 recreational season for red grouper will reopen on January 1, 2024.
- For the 2023/2024 recreational fishing year for greater amberjack, harvest will open at 12:01 am, local time, on August 1, 2023, and will close at 12:01 am, local time, on August 25, 2023.
- For-hire harvest of red snapper will close at 12:01 am, local time, on August 25, 2023. The 2024 for-hire season for red snapper will reopen on June 1, 2024.
- Recreational harvest of gray triggerfish will open at 12:01 am, local time, on August 1, 2023, and will close when the annual catch target is met or projected to be met.
- Recreational harvest of gag will open at 12:01 am, local time, on September 1, 2023, and will close at 12:01 am, local time, on November 10, 2023, unless NOAA Fisheries projects the annual catch limit will be harvested before that date.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information, contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202