- The commercial sector for blueline tilefish in South Atlantic federal waters will reopen for six days beginning on September 11, 2023. Commercial harvest for blueline tilefish will reopen at 12:01 a.m., local time, on September 11, 2023, and close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on September 17, 2023. During the six-day reopening, the commercial trip limit for blueline tilefish is 300 pounds gutted weight.
Why This Reopening is Happening:
The 2023 blueline tilefish commercial catch limit is 117,148 pounds whole weight. On August 2, 2022, the catch limit for the 2023 season was projected to be met, and NOAA Fisheries closed the season. However, a subsequent landings update indicates that the blueline tilefish catch limit has not been met, and reopening will allow the commercial sector to reach its catch limit.
After The Reopening and Subsequent Closure:
- Blueline tilefish harvested may not be sold or purchased after the closure. The prohibition on sale or purchase during the subsequent closure does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m., local time, on September 17, 2023, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-50/chapter-VI/part-622/subpart-I.
Sign Up For Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings And Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information, contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202