NOAA Fisheries requests comments on a proposed rule for Framework Amendment 8 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Coastal Migratory Pelagics Fishery of the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Region (Framework Amendment 8), which if implemented, would increase the Atlantic king mackerel trip limit in federal waters off Florida.
Comments are due by June 18, 2020
SUMMARY OF PROPOSED CHANGES:
- The proposed rule for Framework Amendment 8 would increase the Season 2 (October-end of February) Atlantic king mackerel trip limit in Federal waters of the Atlantic Southern Zone.
- For Season 2 between the Flagler/Volusia, Florida county line and the Miami-Dade/Monroe, Florida county line, the trip limit would be 100 fish.
HOW TO COMMENT ON THE PROPOSED RULE:
The comment period is open through June 18, 2020. You may submit comments by electronic submission or by postal mail. Comments sent by any other method (such as e-mail), to any other address or individual, or received after the end of the comment period, may not be considered by NOAA Fisheries.
FORMAL FEDERAL REGISTER NAME/NUMBER: 85 FR 29916, published May 19, 2020.
Electronic Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal.
2. Click the "Comment Now!" icon, complete the required fields.
3. Enter or attach your comments.
Mail: Submit written comments to Karla Gore, Southeast Regional Office, NMFS, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.
This bulletin serves as a Small Entity Compliance Guide, complying with section 212 of the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act of 1996.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
What would the proposed rule do?
- The proposed rule for Framework Amendment 8 would increase the Atlantic king mackerel trip limit from 50 to 100 fish during Season 2 (October-end of February) between the Flagler/Volusia, Florida county line and the Miami-Dade/Monroe, Florida county line.
Why are the proposed actions needed?
- The trip limit system for the Atlantic Southern Zone was implemented on May 11, 2017, through the final rule for Amendment 26 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Coastal Migratory Pelagics Fishery of the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Region (Amendment 26).
- Following the implementation of Amendment 26, fishermen on the Florida east coast expressed concern about the new trip limits.
- Fishermen indicated that the commercial king mackerel Season 2 quota for the Atlantic Southern Zone has not been not harvested in recent years.
- Comments from stakeholders indicated that the 50-fish trip limit in the Southern Zone has prevented fishermen from fully utilizing the available resource, and has made it challenging to earn enough money to pay for the cost of a trip, potentially causing undue hardship to fishermen and communities.
- In response to these concerns, the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council developed Framework Amendment 8 to modify the Season 2 Atlantic king mackerel trip limit in the Atlantic Southern Zone.
Where can I find more information on the framework amendment and proposed rule?
Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Karla Gore
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
- Framework Amendment 8 and proposed rule may be found online at the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office Web site at: https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/action/framework-amendment-8-king-mackerel-trip-limits.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750