NOAA Fisheries requests comments on proposed rulemaking for Atlantic migratory group cobia (Atlantic cobia) in federal waters of the Atlantic. The proposed rule would increase the commercial quota for Atlantic cobia and modify the process for a commercial closure of Atlantic cobia in federal waters. NOAA Fisheries is proposing these actions in response to a request from the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. The proposed action is expected to increase regulatory flexibility while ensuring the long-term sustainability of the Atlantic cobia population.
Comments are due by October 4, 2021
Summary Of Proposed Changes:
- The proposed rule would increase the commercial quota for Atlantic cobia from 50,000 pounds (lbs) to 73,116 lbs based on the results of the latest population assessment.
- The proposed rule would also modify the process for a commercial closure of Atlantic cobia in federal waters. The new process would transfer quota monitoring responsibility from NOAA Fisheries to the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission. NOAA Fisheries would then be notified when to implement a closure if necessary.
How To Comment On The Proposed Rule:
The comment period is open now through October 4, 2021. You may submit comments by electronic submission or by postal mail. Comments sent by any other method (such as e-mail), to any other address or individual, or received after the end of the comment period, may not be considered by NOAA Fisheries.
Electronic Submissions: Submit all electronic public comments via the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal.
2. Click the "Comment Now!" icon, complete the required fields.
3. Enter or attach your comments.
Mail: Submit written comments to Frank Helies, Southeast Regional Office, NMFS, 263 13th Avenue South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701.
Where can I find more information on the proposed rulemaking?
- Contact NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
By Mail: Frank Helies
NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Regional Office
Sustainable Fisheries Division
263 13th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33701-5505
By FAX: (727) 824-5308
By Phone: (727) 824-5305
- Background documents may be found online at: http://www.asmfc.org/species/cobia/.
Sign Up For Text Message Alerts - Find Out About Immediate Openings And Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707, Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750