Para español, por favor haga clic aquí
WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WHEN:
NOAA Fisheries reminds fishermen and the public of the annually recurring seasonal prohibition on fishing for or possession of any reef fish1 managed by the Caribbean Fishery Management Council in or from those parts of the Bajo de Sico management area that are in federal waters.
- This closure begins at 12:01 a.m., local time, on October 1, 2020, and extends through 11:59 p.m., local time, March 31, 2021.
- These regulations only apply in the federal portion of the Bajo de Sico management area located off the west coast of Puerto Rico (Figure 1), which is bisected by the nine nautical mile boundary between Puerto Rico Commonwealth and federal waters.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
This seasonal closure protects species when they are spawning (reproducing) and therefore more vulnerable to fishing pressure. Bajo de Sico is a known spawning aggregation area for reef fish.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- Fishing and possession prohibitions apply to Council-managed reef fish in or from those parts of the Bajo de Sico management area that are in federal waters.
- Fishers are allowed to harvest spiny lobster and species not managed by the Council, including highly migratory species (HMS)2 or other non-HMS coastal migratory species.
- Fishing with pots, traps, bottom longlines, gillnets or trammel nets and anchoring are prohibited year-round in Bajo de Sico federal waters and remain prohibited during the seasonal closure.
The Bajo de Sico management area is located off the west coast of Puerto Rico and bounded by the following coordinates:
A 18° 15.7' N 67° 26.4' W
B 18° 15.7' N 67° 23.2' W
C 18° 12.7' N 67° 23.2' W
D 18° 12.7' N 67° 26.4' W
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707, Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750