Para español, por favor haga clic aquí
WHAT IS HAPPENING AND WHEN:
NOAA Fisheries reminds the public of the upcoming seasonal prohibition on fishing for or possession on board a fishing vessel of queen conch.
- This annually recurring prohibition will take effect at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 1, 2019.
- The queen conch harvest season will reopen at 12:01 a.m., local time, on November 1, 2019.
- The closure applies in federal waters east of 64°34′ W longitude, including that portion of the Lang Bank area falling within those federal waters (see map below).
- Possession of queen conch in U.S. Virgin Island jurisdictional waters (0 - 3 nautical miles) is prohibited June 1 through October 31.
- Possession of queen conch in Puerto Rico jurisdictional waters (0 - 9 nautical miles) is prohibited August 1 through October 31.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
This seasonal closure protects queen conch when they are spawning (reproducing) and therefore more vulnerable to fishing pressure.
During the open season (November 1 – May 31), fishing for queen conch in U.S. Caribbean federal waters is only allowed in waters east of 64°34′ W longitude. Remaining federal waters are closed year-round to all fishing for queen conch.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750