- The 2019-2020 recreational fishing season for black sea bass in federal waters of the South Atlantic, south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina (35°15.9′ N. latitude), is open and will close April 1, 2020 at 12:01 a.m., local time.
- The recreational fishing season for black sea bass in the South Atlantic region begins on April 1st and ends when the recreational catch limit is predicted to be met.
- Estimates indicate recreational landings for the 2019-2020 fishing year will be below the 2019-2020 recreational catch limit. Therefore, black sea bass will be open for the entire 2019-2020 recreational fishing year, ending April 1, 2020 at 12:01 a.m., local time.
WHY THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS HAPPENING:
- NOAA Fisheries projects that the 2019-2020 recreational catch limit of 433,200 pounds whole weight will not be met as recreational landings in the past three fishing years were substantially below this value.
- This announcement is in compliance with the final rule for Regulatory Amendment 14 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region, which published on November 7, 2014 (79 FR 66316).
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750