- The daily trip limit for the commercial harvest of vermilion snapper in federal waters of the South Atlantic is reduced from 1,110 to 555 pounds whole weight, or from 1,000 to 500 pounds gutted weight, effective 12:01 a.m., local time, on November 11, 2019.
WHY THIS TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION IS HAPPENING:
- When commercial landings of South Atlantic vermilion snapper reach or are projected to reach 75 percent of the quota, regulations are in place to reduce the daily trip limit.
- The trip limit reduction is necessary to slow the rate of commercial harvest to avoid exceeding the quota.
AFTER THE TRIP LIMIT REDUCTION:
- The 555-pound whole weight or 500-pound gutted weight trip limit will remain in effect until the end of the current fishing season on December 31, 2019, or when 100 percent of the quota is reached or projected to be reached, whichever occurs first. The 2020 January through June vermilion snapper fishing season in the South Atlantic will open at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2020, with a 1,110-pound whole weight or 1,000-pound gutted weight trip limit.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time. Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750