Benefits of Shellfish
NOAA recognizes the broad suite of economic, social, and environmental benefits provided by shellfish, including
- jobs and business opportunities.
- meeting the growing demand for seafood.
- habitat for important commercial, recreational, and endangered and threatened species.
- species recovery.
- cleaner water and nutrient removal; and
- shoreline protection.
Working with Partners
Efforts are underway with partners in several states to expand opportunities for shellfish farming and restoration. A comprehensive partnership in Washington is promoting new economic opportunities, restoration, improved water quality, and science.
We will work with public and private partners on:
- spatial planning and permitting
- environmental research
- restoration and farming techniques
Following the launch of the National Shellfish Initiative several states have formed their own partnerships between state and federal government agencies, Tribes, the shellfish aquaculture industry and non-government entities to promote shellfish.
- Alaska Mariculture Initiative
- California Shellfish Initiative
- Connecticut Shellfish Initiative
- Gulf of Mexico Shellfish Initiative
- North Carolina Shellfish Initiative
- Oregon Shellfish Initiative
- Rhode Island Shellfish Initiative
- Washington Shellfish Initiative