The geographic scope of the proposed projects is the U.S. East Coast states from Maine to Florida. The primary location of the proposed projects must be in the marine/estuarine environment. Examples of the types of pilot projects being sought through the RFP follow:
• Research and development related to the production and distribution of shellfish seed stock.
• Finfish, shellfish (other than oyster*), and seaweed farming systems, especially for those species new to aquaculture in the region or that use novel production systems.
• Identification and development of Aquaculture Development Zones with pre-planning and pre-permitting for a range of aquaculture activities.
• Resolution of issues (e.g., enforcement, water quality, public trust concerns or impacts) related to open water finfish farming in state waters.
• Business incubators.
• Regional market and economic impact studies.
ASMFC will be issuing $625,000 in grants to qualified projects. Individual proposals should not exceed $200,000 or be less than $50,000.
Deadline for submission January 15, 2020. To view the full request for proposals visit the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.