Endangered Species Day (the third Friday in May) is an annual day of celebration for the public to learn about endangered and threatened species and what we can all do to help them. Endangered species are plant and animal species that are in danger of becoming extinct, while threatened species are species at risk of becoming endangered. The Endangered Species Act (ESA) is the federal law that protects these vulnerable populations. Through conservation and recovery programs, we work to rebuild the populations to healthy levels.
Here is more information on the endangered species we help protect in the New England/Mid-Atlantic region and how you can celebrate Endangered Species Day.
- Endangered and Threatened Species in the New England/Mid-Atlantic Region
- 2019 Marine Endangered Species Art Contest
- 2019 Art Contest Winners & Honorable Mentions
- Endangered Species Day Video
- 2019 Endangered Species Day Events
- Endangered Species Day Coloring Book
- How can you help marine endangered species?
- Other Outreach Opportunities