How to Complete a Commercial eVTR Using Fish Online eVTR Web App
Operators of federally permitted vessels must submit a vessel trip report (VTR) for each fishing trip. VTRs are important because they provide data that informs fishery science and management decisions. These are tips to complete VTRs electronically.
Use this page for guidance on filling in eVTR fields on the app to complete your report. Visit this webpage for information on how to download Fish Online and set up an account.
NOTE: The document Fishing Vessel Trip Report (VTR) Reporting Instructions provides the complete reference information that you need to satisfy reporting requirements.
- With a connection to the internet, on the Fish Online Login Page, enter your login credentials, then click Log In.
- After you log in, select the vessel for which you are completing a trip report.
- Once you are on your Vessel Profile page, click VTR/IVR Reporting from the menu on the left side of the screen.
- When the next screen opens, select VTR/IVR Reporting; this action brings you to the Reporting home page
NOTE: You may use the app in a web browser or use the Install option to install the app directly on your computer, phone, or tablet. When you use the installed app, you may complete your trip report without an internet connection; however, an internet connection is required to submit the data.
Report a Trip with Catch
- Click or tap the + sign in the top right corner of the screen.
- Enter the DATE SAILED and VESSEL PERMIT NUMBER (search for this either by vessel name or permit number). Once complete, select NEXT.
- Enter TRIP TYPE and NUMBER OF CREW. If you are a vessel operator, you should already be known to Fish Online eVTR Web App based on your username and password. If for any reason you are not, see our contact information below.
- Select NEXT.
- Review for accuracy, then select SAVE.
- Select ADD EFFORT at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter GEAR CODE, GEAR QUANTITY, GEAR SIZE, and MESH SIZE. Select NEXT.
- Enter CHART AREA, NUMBER OF HAULS, SOAK TIME, and FISHING DEPTH (fathoms), then select NEXT.
- Enter LATITUDE/LONGITUDE by selecting either the CURRENT LOCATION button (using the device’s GPS) or by entering the Lat/Lon manually.
- Select SAVE.
- Select ADD CATCH at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter species caught either by searching for the name or by searching for the species code.
- Enter the pounds KEPT and the pounds DISCARDED. (If you discarded no fish, you must enter 0 into the Discard field.) Select SAVE.
- Continue in this manner to add any additional catch until you have reported all of it, then select TRIP REVIEW at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap VTR TRIP REPORT in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Tap + , then tap SET DATE AND TIME LANDED.
- Enter date and time landed, then tap SAVE.
NOTE: If you are adding another Effort for this trip, select ADD EFFORT and follow the steps in the previous section, Effort.
Landing and Offload
- Select ADD LANDING from the bottom of the screen.
- Enter DATE AND TIME LANDED, then select SAVE.
- Select SPECIES to offload, then select NEXT.
- Enter POUNDS SOLD, DEALER INFORMATION, PORT LANDED, and DATE SOLD, then select NEXT.
- Select SIGN at the bottom of the screen.
- Review DATE SAILED and DATE LAND times for accuracy, then select NEXT.
- Review offload and sale information for accuracy, then select NEXT.
- Check the box, then click or tap SUBMIT.
NOTE: The trip will be transmitted the next time your device is connected to the internet.
Gear Quantity Information
The Gear Quantity information that you provide must be specific to the gear type you are using. Refer to the section Fishing Effort Information by Gear Type Table in the VTR Instructions document for more information.
Which fields must be completed prior to entering port?
Before entering port at the end of a trip, you must complete all fields except Dealer Name, Dealer Permit Number, and Date of Sale. If fish were sold, you must enter this information as soon as possible.
Displaying All Trips Submitted to NOAA
On the Home screen, the blue boxes displaying trip information are a combination of open and submitted trips on your current device. To see all trips that you submitted to NOAA, click on the three lines at the top left of the home screen, then select VTR Trip List. This action displays all submitted trips regardless of the device used.
Contact our Help Desk at (978) 281-9188, email@example.com or your local Port Agent.