Hawaiʻi's fisheries extension agent is co-managed by State of Hawaiʻi Division of Aquatic Resources and the NOAA Fisheries Pacific Islands Regional Office. The fisheries extension agent works to facilitate and improve the regional management of coral reef resources at the local level. The agent serves as a liaison between Hawaiʻi's recreational shoreline fishing community and the State of Hawaiʻi and federal resource managers, scientists, and other relevant organizations.
- Focus on improving communications, information exchange, and relationships among the resource users, resource managers, and others organizations.
- Provide and share information of interest to fishermen and other resource users.
- Meet with fishing community members, organizations, and clubs to listen to and address their needs and concerns.
- Work with the fishing community throughout the Hawaiian Islands to design projects that address their needs and concerns.
- Perform fishery outreach activities at events, including fishing tournaments.