Cooperative Agreements Between NOAA and the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission
Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission (AEWC) Cooperative Agreement with NOAA 2019.
These agreements protect the bowhead whale and the culture of the whaling villages, promote scientific investigation of the bowhead whale, and carry out the other purposes of the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the Whaling Convention Act, and the Endangered Species Act as these acts relate to aboriginal subsistence whaling. The 2019 Cooperative Agreement is amended annually to update relevant dates and annual strike limits for the AEWC bowhead whale quota, as outlined in Article 4(1) of the agreement.
These agreements provide for:
- Cooperation between members of the Alaska Eskimo Whaling Commission and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the management of the bowhead whale hunt through 2025.
- An exclusive enforcement mechanism that shall apply during the term of this agreement to any violation by whaling captains (or their crews) who are registered members of the AEWC, of any provisions of:
- The Marine Mammal Protection Act, the Endangered Species Act, or the Whaling Convention Act, as these acts may relate to aboriginal subsistence whaling
- The International Convention for the Regulation of Whaling 1946
- Regulations of the International Whaling Commission
- The Management Plan
- These agreements