No Free Meals for Seals Flyer
Flyer promoting responsible spearfishing around Hawaiian monk seals, which includes protecting your catch and never feeding seals.
All spearfishers should take precautions to prevent seals from becoming conditioned to approaching divers in search of food and potentially creating a future safety issue for other ocean users or the seals.
If you encounter a Hawaiian monk seal while spearfishing:
- Protect your catch by pulling your stringer (kui) in close.
- Without harming the seal, take actions necessary to keep a safe distance between the seal and your catch.
- Take a break or try a different fishing area, especially if the seal persists in pursuing you or your catch.
- Report all seal sightings to the NOAA hotline: (888) 256-9840.
Do you own or work for a fish and tackle supply or dive shop?
You can help get the word out on what your customers can do to prevent “problem” seals!
- Share the flyer on your social media pages
- Print out the flyer to post in your shop