Protected Species (Southeast) - Educational Signs
The Protected Resources Division develops educational signs to provide the public guidance on how to avoid harmful interactions with protected species.
These signs are often posted near boat ramps, piers, docks, marinas, and waterfront parks. Signs may be posted voluntarily or as a requirement of a Section 7 Consultation.
*Please review your Section 7 Consultation letter for any sign requirements (i.e., size, type, location).
Download print quality pdfs below. Modifications, including adding logos, are prohibited.
Protected Resources Division
Don't Feed Wild Dolphin sign (PDF) Download File
Protect Wild Dolphin sign (PDF) Download File
Save Sea Turtles and Dolphins sign (PDF) Download File
Help Stranded Marine Mammals sign (PDF) Download File
Report a Sturgeon sign (PDF) Download File
Save Sawfish sign (PDF) Download File
Protect North Atlantic Right Whales sign (PDF) Download File
Do Not Catch or Harass Sea Turtle sign (PDF) Download File
Save Sea Turtles, Dolphins and Sawfish sign (PDF) Download File
Dolphin Friendly Fishing Tips sign (PDF) Download File
Sign Production Guidance
- Signs shall be placed in a prominent location that is easily viewable to individuals on foot. Recommended areas include: dock walkways, dockmaster offices, near restrooms, bait shops, or other high traffic areas. Signs may also be placed in kiosks near public entrances to marinas, piers, or docks. Avoid posting signs along driveways or roads. Posting multiple signs is encouraged for larger facilities with multiple docks and/or walkways.
- Signs should not face the water or be attached to navigational markers in the water.
- Signs must be replaced when faded, damaged or outdated; therefore, the following specifications are recommended.
- Material: Signs should be made of a durable, weather resistant material such as fiberglass or aluminum; 0.063 or 0.080 thick with rounded corners.
- 36”x24” (large) - recommended for large surfaces or walls.
- 24”x18” (medium) - recommended for posts or pilings.
- 18”x12” (small) - recommended for smaller flat surface areas and areas exposed to high winds.
- Ultraviolet (UV) and weather resistant ink is recommended.