Amendment 12 to the 2006 Consolidated HMS Fishery Management Plan: MSA Guidelines and National Policy Directives
NOAA Fisheries is exploring options related to the 2016 revised National Standards 1, 3, and 7 guidelines and other recent national policy directives.
Issues addressed in Draft Amendment 12 include:
- Proposed revisions to the objectives in the 2006 Consolidated Atlantic HMS Fishery Management Plan.
- Proposed adoption of ICCAT stock status determination criteria for ICCAT-managed HMS.
- Review and update HMS standardized bycatch reporting methodology.
- Proposed establishment of triggers for review of allocations of quota-managed HMS.
- Proposed modification to the timing for release of the HMS Stock Assessment and Fishery Evaluation Report.
Draft Amendment 12 does not contain a proposed rule or regulatory text. It does not change any fishery quotas or implement any new HMS fishery management measures. Any operational changes to HMS fishery management measures as a result of Amendment 12 would be considered in future rulemakings as appropriate.
We encourage anyone affected or otherwise interested in the general management of Atlantic HMS and the contents of the Atlantic HMS FMP to participate in the Draft Amendment 12 process. We request comment on the provisions described in Draft Amendment 12.
Comments are due by October 26, 2020. You can submit comments online at the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal by searching for “NOAA-NMFS-2019-0096."
We intend to hold public hearing webinars to solicit comments on this topic.
September 23, 2020
2 – 4 p.m. (ET)
Meeting number: 199 162 5739 Password: D3Pn3hQt2J9
Join by phone: 1-415-527-5035 Access code:199 162 5739
September 29, 2020
3 – 5 p.m. (ET)
Meeting number: 199 054 2449 Password: yfSEgJW24d3
Join by phone: 1-415-527-5035 Access code: 199 054 2449