Amendment 55 to the FMP for the Groundfish of the Gulf of Alaska Management Area
NOAA Fisheries announces approval of the following fishery management plan amendments:
- Amendment 55 to the FMP for the Groundfish Fishery of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands Area
- Amendment 55 to the FMP for Groundfish of the Gulf of Alaska
- Amendment 8 to the FMP for the Commercial King and Tanner Crab Fisheries in the Bering Sea/ Aleutian Islands
- Amendment 5 to the FMP for Scallop Fisheries off Alaska
- Amendment 5 to the FMP for the Salmon Fisheries in the Exclusive Economic Zone off the Coast of Alaska
These amendments describe and identify EFH in Alaska, and risks to that habitat, for groundfish, scallops, salmon, and king and Tanner crabs.
Under the provisions of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (Magnuson-Stevens Act), Federal agencies must consult with NOAA Fisheries, acting for the Secretary of Commerce, on any activity, or proposed activity, authorized, funded, or undertaken, that may adversely affect EFH. This action is necessary to promote the protection and conservation of habitat used by FMP species at crucial stages of their life cycles. It is intended to promote the goals and objectives of these FMPs.