Unsupported Browser Detected

Internet Explorer lacks support for the features of this website. For the best experience, please use a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.

NOAA Fisheries Closes the Atlantic Bluefin Tuna Angling Category Northern Area Trophy Fishery


Action Status


Fishermen aboard Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Angling category and Atlantic
HMS Charter/Headboat permitted vessels (when fishing recreationally) may not retain, possess,
or land large medium or giant Atlantic bluefin tuna (i.e., measuring 73 inches curved fork length
or greater) in the northern area after 11:30 p.m., May 11, 2021. The northern area is the area
north of 39°18’ N. lat. (off Great Egg Inlet, NJ).

How long is the closure in effect?

The Angling category fishery for trophy bluefin tuna will close effective 11:30 p.m., May 11, 2021
through December 31, 2021.

Why is the fishery closing?

Based on the best available landings information, the 1.8-mt Angling category northern area
“trophy” bluefin tuna (measuring 73 inches or greater) subquota has been reached and exceeded.

Who is affected?

This action applies to HMS Angling category and HMS Charter/Headboat permitted vessels
fishing recreationally in the northern area (defined above).
Note that the Angling category fishery for school, large school, or small medium bluefin tuna (27
to <73”) remains open in all areas except for the Gulf of Mexico, which is designated as bluefin
tuna spawning grounds and where NOAA Fisheries does not allow targeted fishing for bluefin


HMS Angling category and HMS Charter/Headboat permitted vessel owners are required to
report the catch of all bluefin retained or discarded dead within 24 hours of the landing(s) or end
of each trip by:

  • Accessing the HMS Permit Shop.
  • Using the HMS Catch Reporting app.
  •  Calling 888-872-8862 (Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.)

This notice is a courtesy to fishery permit holders to help keep you informed about the fishery.
Official notice of Federal fishery actions is made through filing such notice with the Office of the
Federal Register.

Federal Register

Last updated by Office of Sustainable Fisheries on 01/05/2022