Seabird Avoidance Measures for the Hook-and-Line Groundfish and Halibut Fisheries off Alaska
Revision to the seabird avoidance requirements for the hook-and-line groundfish and halibut fisheries in International Pacific Halibut Commission Area 4E. The final rule eliminates seabird avoidance requirements for hook-and-line vessels less than or equal to 55 ft (16.8 m) length overall in portions of Area 4E in the eastern Bering Sea.
Seabird avoidance measures reduce the incidental mortality of seabirds in the hook-and-line fisheries off Alaska. Since 1997, NOAA Fisheries has implemented and revised seabird avoidance measures to mitigate interactions between the Federal hook-and-line fisheries and seabirds.
- Final Rule: Area 4E (74 FR 13355, 03/27/2009)
- Proposed Rule: Area 4E (74 FR 2984, 01/16/2009)
- Final Rule (72 FR 71601, 12/18/2007)
- Proposed Rule (72 FR 53516, 09/19/2007)
- Final Rule (69 FR 1930, 01/13/2004)
- Proposed Rule (68 FR 6386, 02/07/2003)
- Final Rule (63 FR 11161, 03/06/1998)
- Proposed Rule (62 FR 65635, 12/15/1997)
- Final Rule (62 FR 23176, 04/29/1997)
- Proposed Rule (62 FR 10016, 03/05/1997)