- The commercial harvest of red snapper in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on August 18, 2023. During the commercial closure, all sale or purchase of red snapper is prohibited.
- All harvest or possession of red snapper in or from South Atlantic federal waters is now prohibited, as the recreational fishing season is also closed for 2023.
Why This Closure Is Happening:
- The 2023 commercial catch limit is 124,815 pounds whole weight. Commercial landings are projected to reach the commercial catch limit by August 18, 2023. According to the accountability measure, harvest must close to prevent the commercial catch limit from being exceeded.
After The Closure:
- The closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have a federal commercial or charter vessel/headboat permit for South Atlantic Snapper-Grouper, regardless of where such fish are harvested or possessed, i.e., in state or federal waters.
- Unless specified otherwise, the 2024 commercial fishing season for red snapper in the South Atlantic will begin on the second Monday in July, with a commercial catch limit of 124,815 pounds whole weight.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-50/chapter-VI/part-622/subpart-I.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts – Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202