- Commercial harvest of greater amberjack will reopen in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 1, 2019, and will close at 12:01 a.m., local time, on June 9, 2019.
- The adjusted 2019 Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) commercial quota for greater amberjack is 337,503 lbs.
- The 2019 commercial quota was reduced due to an overage in 2018.
- Commercial harvest for the 2020 fishing year will reopen at 12:01 a.m., local time, on January 1, 2020.
WHY THIS PAYBACK AND CLOSURE ARE HAPPENING:
- The latest report for 2018 greater amberjack commercial landings indicates 331,403 lbs were harvested, which is 12,263 lbs greater than the 2018 commercial annual catch limit (ACL).
- As a result, regulations require a reduction in the 2019 commercial ACL and commercial quota by the amount of the previous year ACL overage.
- NOAA Fisheries projects that the 2019 adjusted commercial quota will be harvested by June 9, 2019.
- This action is necessary to protect the greater amberjack population. This population is currently considered overfished (the population size is too low) and undergoing overfishing (too many fish being harvested).
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- Any person aboard a vessel for which a federal commercial vessel permit for Gulf reef fish has been issued must comply with the closure regardless of where the fish are harvested.
- No greater amberjack caught in Gulf federal waters after 12:01 a.m., local time, June 9, 2019, may be purchased, bartered, traded, or sold.
- The prohibition of sale does not apply to trade in greater amberjack that were harvested, landed ashore and bartered, traded, or sold before 12:01 a.m., local time, June 9, 2019, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750