The 2023 commercial harvest of golden tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic for both the hook-and-line and longline components will reopen at 12:01 a.m., (local time), on December 7, 2023. Each component will remain open through 2023 unless the catch limit is projected to be met.
Why This Reopening Is Happening:
- The commercial golden tilefish longline component closed on February 26, 2023, because the catch limit was projected to be met, and subsequently reopened for three days on April 4 -7, 2023. The hook-and-line component closed on October 31, 2023, because the catch limit was projected to be met.
- The final rule for Amendment 52 to the Fishery Management Plan for the Snapper-Grouper Fishery of the South Atlantic Region (Amendment 52), which revised the catch limits for golden tilefish and the fishing season for the commercial longline component, will be effective on December 7, 2023.
- For the 2023 fishing year, the revised golden tilefish commercial longline catch limit will be 315,484 pounds gutted weight, and the revised golden tilefish commercial hook-and-line catch limit will be 105,161 pounds gutted weight. Commercial catch reports indicate that commercial landings have not met the 2023 revised commercial longline or the hook-and-line catch limits, and reopening will allow each component to reach its catch limit.
During and After the Reopening:
- During the reopening, the commercial trip limit for the golden tilefish longline component is 4,000 pounds gutted weight or 4,480 pounds whole weight. Only golden tilefish longline endorsement holders are allowed to harvest golden tilefish with longline fishing gear. The commercial trip limit for the golden tilefish hook-and-line component is 500 pounds gutted weight or 560 pounds whole weight.
- Amendment 52 will revise the fishing season start date for the golden tilefish commercial longline component. The commercial longline component for the 2024 fishing year in South Atlantic federal waters will open at 12:01 a.m., (local time,) on January 15, 2024. The commercial hook-and-line component for the 2024 fishing year in South Atlantic federal waters will open at 12:01 a.m., (local time,) on January 1, 2024.
- The 2023 fishing season for the golden tilefish recreational sector closed on July 17, 2023, because the catch limit of 2,316 fish was projected to be met. The final rule for Amendment 52 will increase the recreational catch limit for golden tilefish to 2,559 fish for the 2023 fishing year. However, the most recent recreational landings data of South Atlantic golden tilefish indicate that the increased recreational catch limit for 2023 has already been reached. Therefore, the recreational harvest of golden tilefish in the South Atlantic will not reopen during the 2023 fishing year, and the 2024 recreational fishing season will begin on January 1, 2024.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=383bc195ccbeab4fd6bec1c24905df34&node=sp50.12.622.i&rgn=div6#se50.12.622_1193.
Sign Up for Text Message Alerts – Find Out About Immediate Openings and Closures
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery-related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries-Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries-Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries-Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries-Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries-Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Quick Glance Contact List for the NOAA Fisheries Southeast Regional Office
Permits Mailbox: The Permits Office in St. Petersburg, Florida, now has a Permits mailbox in the front lobby (263 13th Ave. South, St. Petersburg, FL 33701). You can now drop off original permits for permit transfers. Envelopes with information labels will be provided so that your documents can be attached to the correct application. The mailbox will be checked daily. For more information, contact the Permits Office at 877-376-4877.
Media Contact: Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Recreational Fishing Coordinator: Sean Meehan, 727-385-5202