NOAA sustainable fisheries South Atlantic Branch, together with the South Atlantic Fishery Management Council, manages fisheries in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). Federal waters begin where state waters end and extend to the 200 mile limit of the South Atlantic.
A state may regulate vessels that are registered in that state and fishing in federal waters for species that do not have a federal fishery management plan or applicable federal regulations, or for which the appropriate fishery management plan has delegated management of the state and the state rules are consistent with federal regulations.
- Code of Federal Regulations 50 CFR 622
- Fishing Regulations By Species
- Fishing Seasons and Closures
- No permit or license is required for recreational fishing in federal waters. Anglers are responsible for abiding by all federal and state fishing regulations and obtaining any state license required.
- A fishery may close when the quota or annual catch limit is projected to be reached.
Stay up to date on fishery announcements and closures:
- To receive fishery bulletins via email: please sign up through Constant Contact at http://bit.ly/HQDUEU. The electronic copy of the bulletin will be delivered to you faster than the paper copy, is in color, features informational links, and reduces paper use.
- To receive important fishery related alerts via text message, including immediate fishery openings and closures, and significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly, opt-in for one or more of the following groups. Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries:Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries:Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777