The new Science, Technology & Engineering, and Environmental Literacy and Sustainability (STEELS) standards are a powerful framework for student-centered learning. Join colleagues from across Pennsylvania to engage with the new standards and explore connections to the Meaningful Watershed Educational Experience (MWEE) by registering for this professional development opportunity.
- Introduce participants to the new Science, Technology & Engineering, and Environmental Literacy and Sustainability (STEELS) standards, and the multidimensional/cross-curricular orientation of the standards;
- Explore the Environmental Literacy and Sustainability Standards (Dimension 5) and explicitly how these connect to the MWEE framework;
- Highlight the Science and Engineering practices embedded in the standards and the ways in which MWEEs offer a context for development of these practices; and
- Model what MWEE learning looks like under the new standards regime.
This professional development opportunity has two parts. We request that ALL attendees participate fully in BOTH parts. You will have a choice regarding which location you will attend for Part 2.
Part 1 (Virtual): Thursday, February 23, 2023, 12:30-3:30 p.m.
This virtual session will focus on introducing participants to the new standards, highlighting connections to the MWEE and how these multi-dimensional standards will support a different approach to science education.
Part 2 (In person—participants only need to attend one of these days): 9:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, February 28, 2023 at PaTTAN - East (Malvern)
- Wednesday, March 1, 2023 at PaTTAN - Central (Harrisburg)
- Thursday, March 2, 2023 at PaTTAN - West (Pittsburgh)
During the part 2 session we will explore what the new standards look like in practice, highlighting the multidimensional nature of the standards and the science and engineering practices that can be elevated when applying the MWEE framework.
We welcome any questions you may have about this professional development opportunity. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.