Quality Management and Continuous Improvement
In an environment that promotes continuous improvement, NOAA Fisheries and the Fisheries Information System Program strive to find creative solutions that produce high quality, accurate, defensible data that supports timely and cost-effective management and policy. Though quality management and Continuous Improvement (QM & CI) do include data quality, its reach is much broader. Quality Management and Continuous Improvement include leadership engagement, strategic planning, the use of process improvement tools and listening to the customer. When organizations include these quality management principles, a direct result will be improved data quality. Since 2010, members of the QM & CI Professional Specialty Group have served as QM & CI Ambassadors through training and outreach efforts. Through this work, the QM & CI PSG is developing and promoting a culture of QM & CI throughout NOAA Fisheries. The group meets regularly to share ideas and to promote QM & CI principles for the benefit of all of NOAA Fisheries as well partner agencies.
Funding for Quality Management and Continuous Improvement Projects
Every year, through a Request for Proposal, the Fisheries Information System program funds projects that improve fisheries data collection and management. This funding is intended to help initiate or maintain efforts that emphasize the continual improvement of the quality, utility, and integrity of fishery-dependent data collection, storage, and dissemination programs.
QM and CI Toolbox
The purpose of the Quality Management and Continuous Improvement Toolbox is to provide a centralized space for the Quality Management PSG to share specific information about quality improvement exercises and tools that we have used in our regions to understand and improve our data, activities, and processes. The Toolbox enables us to share experiences about implementing quality improvement tools and develop best practices for quality improvement tools that are applicable to fisheries data management.
The Toolbox provides a list of tools and instructional information with specifics on:
- Why use the tool;
- When to use the tool;
- Step-by-step instructions on how to use the tool as well as blank templates or worksheets for you to complete;
- Specific examples from regions that have implemented the tool, along with a description of why it was helpful and any insights that were developed by using the tool;
- Subject matter experts who have background knowledge on utilizing each tool and can answer specific questions.
Quality Management and Continuous Improvement Ambassadors
Members of the QM & CI Professional Specialty Group provide guidance and expertise on QM & CI to the larger NOAA community and partners.
- Promote the use of QM & CI principles;
- Assist in identifying tailored application of QM & CI tools;
- Maintain and update reference materials through the FIS QM & CI website;
- Promote QM training opportunities; and
- Promote a culture of sharing and implementing QM & CI principles
QM and CI Glossary
In this Glossary, you'll find a list of common terms that you'll encounter as you begin to consider what QM & CI exercise (s) best fit the problem you are trying to solve or the process you are looking to improve.