Final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for the Duwamish-Green Hatcheries
In 2019, NOAA Fisheries completed its final Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) evaluating effects of our proposed approval of 10 hatchery programs in the Duwamish-Green River basin of Puget Sound, in Washington State.
In the spring of 2017, NOAA Fisheries released for public comment its draft EIS analyzing effects of our proposed approval of the 10 hatchery programs. The programs are described in Hatchery and Genetics Management Plans (HGMPs), prepared by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), Muckleshoot Indian Tribe, and Suquamish Tribe (the co-managers).
In December 2018, NOAA Fisheries released a draft supplemental EIS, which analyzed the effects of an additional alternative that was not analyzed in the draft EIS. The analysis of the new alternative in the draft supplemental EIS included an increased number of fall Chinook salmon that would be produced by the Soos Creek Chinook salmon hatchery program.
Public comments on the draft EIS and draft supplemental EIS were considered and are addressed in this final EIS.
For more information on this process, please contact Charlene Hurst, NMFS, by phone at (503) 230-5409, or e-mail to Charlene.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Federal Register Notice of Re-opened Comment Period (84 FR 4463, February 15, 2019)
- Federal Register Notice of Availability of DSEIS (83 FR 63161, December 7, 2018)
- Federal Register Notice of Intent to Prepare DSEIS (83 FR 53048, October 19, 2018)
- Federal Register Notice of availability of DEIS (82 FR 51237, November 3, 2017)
- Federal Register Notice of extended comment period (82 FR 59597, December 15, 2017)
NOAA Fisheries provides the information below as background material. The public comment period on the draft EIS ended in January 2018.
- Draft EIS: Draft Supplemental EIS
- Duwamish-Green Hatcheries Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) Summary
- Duwamish-Green Hatcheries Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS)
- Frequently Asked Questions
Hatchery and Genetic Management Plans
NOAA Fisheries is providing the following hatchery and genetic management plans as additional information to assist in review of the draft EIS. These plans are not subject to public comment. All of the plans have been submitted to NOAA Fisheries for review under Limit 6 of the 4(d) rule for salmon and steelhead.
State of Washington Plans
- Soos Creek fall chinook
- Soos Creek coho
- Soos Creek summer steelhead
- Marine Technology Center coho
- Green River late winter steelhead
- Keta Creek coho (updated)
- Keta Creek fall chum
- Fish Restoration Facility (FRF) fall chinook
- Fish Restoration Facility (FRF) coho
- Fish Restoration Facility (FRF) native winter steelhead