Southeast Fisheries Science Center Management Strategy Evaluation Plan Strategic Plan
NOAA Fisheries and the Southeast Fisheries Science Center are embarking on a process of strategically using
Management Strategy Evaluation to advance fisheries monitoring, assessment, and management.
This document identifies the goals of the Management Strategy Evaluation (MSE) enterprise and presents the areas in which MSE would be most beneficial to advancing the Southeast Fisheries Science Center’s mission of “providing the scientific advice and data needed to effectively manage the living marine resources of the Southeast region and Atlantic high seas”. We present three flagship MSEs that have been initiated within the Center, which each have the potential to be paradigm-shifting or have significant ramifications for the way in which fisheries are assessed and managed within the Southeast and more broadly. We outline activities that are ongoing to meet the MSE strategic objectives within the Center and provide future research directions.
Management Strategy Evaluation Priorities
1. Capacity Development
2. Explore Data-Limited Management Procedures
3. Explore Interim Approaches and Assessment Frequency
4. Explicitly Include Management Procedure Performance Across Climate Change and Non-stationarity
5. Consider Ecosystem Impacts of Fisheries Management
6. Focus on Recreationally Dominated Fisheries
7. “Right-Weight” Assessment Complexity
8. Prioritize Data Availability / Quality / Efficiency
9. Desk MSEs to Improve Understanding of Population Dynamics, Stock Assessment, and Management
Each priority is discussed in more detail within the Technical Memorandum.
Peterson, C.D. and J.F. Walter III. 2023. Southeast Fisheries Science Center Management Strategy
Evaluation Strategic Plan. NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS-SEFSC-TM-766, 27 p