Harbor Seals in Tidewater Glacial Fiords in Alaska and Responses to Cruise Ships
Presentation for the advance notice of proposed rulemaking 2013 public meetings on disturbance to harbor seals in glacial habitats
This presentation addresses the following topics:
- How close is too close? Assessing the potential of short-term disturbance by cruise ships to cause long-term impacts on harbor seals.
- What defines disturbance?
- Trends in cruise ship visits from 1970 to the present
- Why is it a problem that cruise ships cause seals to spend more time in the water?
- Best practices to minimize cruise ship disturbance on seals