Joint Technical Committee of the Pacific Hake/Whiting Treaty
Description and list of members of the Joint Technical Committee of the Pacific hake/whiting treaty.
The Joint Technical Committee authors an annual stock assessment, and provides the Joint Management Committee with annual stock assessments to inform harvest management decisions, including scientific advice on the annual potential yield of the offshore whiting resource that may be caught for that fishing year. The Joint Technical Committee includes up to five scientific experts, with up to two appointed by each party and one independent member appointed by both parties. At annual meetings that typically occur in December, the JTC presents initial information about the status of the stock, and includes information about the past fishing year, often from industry members in attendance.
The committee includes:
- Aaron Berger, NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center
- Kelli Johnson, NOAA Fisheries, Northwest Fisheries Science Center
- Andrew Edwards, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Biological Station
- Chris Grandin, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Pacific Biological Station
- Sean Cox, Simon Fraser University