Pacific Hake/Whiting Treaty
Management of the coastal stock of Pacific whiting is accomplished through a bilateral agreement between the United States and Canada, known as the Pacific Whiting Treaty.
The transboundary stock of Pacific whiting, also known as Pacific hake, is managed via the Agreement Between the Government of the United States of America and the Government of Canada on Pacific Hake/ Whiting of 2003, commonly known as the Pacific Hake/Whiting Treaty. This agreement established that the United States has a right to 73.88 percent of the overall TAC and Canada has a right to 26.12 percent.
|Event||Date(s) & Link to Meeting Information||Location|
|JMC Meeting RE: MSE||October 7, 2020
November 4, 2020
December 2, 2020
|JTC Meeting RE: 2020 fishery||December 9, 2020||Online Meeting|
|Draft Stock Assessment||February 8, 2021||Available here (pdf)|
|JMC Briefing of Draft Stock Assessment||February 11, 2021||Online Meeting|
|SRG Meeting||February 22-25, 2021||Online Meeting|
|SRG Report & Final Stock Assessment||March 3, 2021||Final documents are posted below (under Management Documents)|
|JMC/AP Meeting RE: 2021 TAC||March 15–17, 2021||Online Meeting|
AP: Advisory Panel; JMC: Joint Management Committee; JTC: Joint Technical Committee; SRG: Scientific Review Group.
Committees and Panels
The Pacific Whiting Treaty created four bilateral bodies to manage the Pacific whiting resource. Information about each of the treaty bodies, including membership and terms of reference, can be found by clicking on the links below:
The annual coastwide TAC-setting process begins with a stock assessment completed by the Joint Technical Committee in January. The Scientific Review Group reviews the stock assessment at their annual meeting (February or March) and provides scientific advice, which is incorporated into the final stock assessment. The Advisory Panel and Joint Management Committee meet to review the stock assessment and to provide advice to the governments of Canada and of the United States on an annual coastwide TAC by March of each year. Once approved by the respective governments, the TAC advice is in turn implemented in accordance with each countries’ laws and regulations.
- 2021 Scientific Review Group Report
- 2021 Pacific Whiting Stock Assessment
- 2020 Scientific Review Group Report
- 2020 Pacific Whiting Stock Assessment
- 2020 SRG Review Report of the MSE
- 2020 JMC Closed Session Summary Report (PDF, 2 pages)
- 2019 Total Allowable Catch Recommendation by Joint Management Committee
- 2019 Advisory Panel Report
- 2019 Scientific Review Group Report
- 2019 Pacific Whiting Stock assessment
- Management Strategy Evaluation (MSE) Draft – February 6, 2018 (PDF, 22 pages)
- 2018 Pacific Whiting Stock Assessment
- 2018 Advisory Panel Report
- 2018 Total Allowable Catch Recommendation by Joint Management Committee
- 2018 Scientific Review Group Report