Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands King and Tanner Crabs Fishery Management Plan Historical Amendments 1 through 10
This page contains information about historic amendments 1 through 10, 1990-2001. For more information, please visit the King and Tanner Crabs Fishery Management Plan page.
These actions in are intended to promote the goals and objectives of the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (Magnuson-Stevens Act), the FMP, and other applicable law.
This amendment removed existing regulations that superseded State of Alaska regulations that established Norton Sound as a superexclusive registration area in the exclusive economic zone of the BSAI. This action was necessary for effective management of the fishery having the smallest biomass and guideline harvest level in the BSAI crab fisheries.
This amendment incorporated the provisions of the North Pacific Fisheries Research Plan into the plan to provide a standard application of the Research Plan and associated observer coverage throughout applicable fisheries.
Correction to final rule to impose a temporary moratorium on the entry of new vessels into the crab fisheries under Federal jurisdiction in the BSAI Area. The final rule curtails increases in fishing capacity and provides industry stability while the North Pacific Fishery Management Council and NOAA Fisheries prepare, review, and, if approved, implement a comprehensive management plan for this fishery.
- Correction (60 FR 47312, 09/12/1995)
- Final Rule (60 FR 40763, 08/10/1995)
- Notice of Availability (60 FR 22542, 05/08/1995)
- Proposed Rule (59 FR 28827, 06/03/1994)
- Proposed Rule (60 FR 25677, 05/12/1995)
- Disapproval (59 FR 43534, 08/24/1994)
- Notice of Availability (59 FR 23284, 05/12/1994)
This amendment, submitted by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council, established the License Limitation Program (LLP). The LLP limits the number, size, and specific operation of vessels that may be deployed in the crab fisheries managed pursuant to the plan
- Final Rule (63 FR 52642, 10/01/1998)
- Proposed Rule (62 FR 43866, 08/15/1997)
- Notice of Availability (62 FR 32579, 06/16/1997)
This amendment removed reference to the Research Plan.
- Final Rule (61 FR 56425, 11/01/1996)
- Proposed Rule (61 FR 40380, 08/02/1996)
- Notice of Availability (61 FR 36702, 07/12/1996)
This amendment revised definitions of overfishing, maximum sustainable yield, and optimum yield.
This amendment described and identified Essential Fish Habitat in Alaska, and risks to that habitat, for king and Tanner crabs.
These amendment extended the Vessel Moratorium Program (VMP) authorized under the plan from January 1, 1999, through December 31, 1999. This action was necessary to prevent a 1-year hiatus between the original expiration of the VMP on December 31, 1998, and the start of fishing under the License Limitation Program on January 1, 2000.
- Final Rule (64 FR 3651, 01/25/1999)
- Proposed Rule (63 FR 63442, 11/13/1998)
- Notice of Availability (63 FR 49892, 09/18/1998)
This amendment implemented changes to the License Limitation Program.
- Final Rule (66 FR 48813, 09/24/2001)
- Proposed Rule (66 FR 17397, 03/30/2001)
- Notice of Availability (66 FR 3976, 01/17/2001)