Submit Nominations for the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species Advisory Panel
Nomination Packages Due November 30, 2022
NOAA Fisheries is requesting nominations for the Atlantic Highly Migratory Species (HMS) Advisory Panel (AP). We are seeking nominations to fill 10 of the seats on the HMS AP for 3-year appointments.
What is the role of the HMS AP?
NOAA Fisheries consults with and considers the comments and views of the HMS AP when preparing and implementing fishery management plans or amendments for Atlantic tunas, swordfish, billfish, and sharks.
What qualifications are needed to serve on the HMS AP?
We look for one or more of the following qualifications when selecting members:
- Experience in HMS recreational fisheries.
- Experience in HMS commercial fisheries.
- Experience in fishery-related industries, such as marinas or bait and tackle shops.
- Experience in the scientific community working with HMS.
- Experience representing a private, non-governmental, regional, national, or international organization that represents marine fisheries or environmental, governmental, or academic interests regarding HMS.
Which sector vacancies need to be filled?
To ensure the HMS AP continues to reflect an appropriate and equitable balance and mix of interests, we are specifically seeking to fill the following sector vacancies:
- Three commercial.
- Five recreational.
- Two environmental.
Who can submit nominations?
Individuals with definable interests in recreational and commercial fishing and related industries, environmental community, academia, and non-governmental organizations will be considered for membership on the HMS AP. We invite nominations from all individuals and constituent groups.
Please submit nominations to: HMSAP.Nominations@noaa.gov.