The commercial longline component for golden tilefish in federal waters of the South Atlantic will close at 12:01 a.m. on May 9, 2017. The closure applies to longline endorsement holders for golden tilefish.
Why This Closure is Happening:
- The 2017 commercial catch limit for the golden tilefish longline component is 405,971 pounds gutted weight. Commercial landings information indicates that the commercial catch limit for the longline component has been met and harvest therefore should be closed.
During and After the Closure:
- The commercial longline component closure applies in both state and federal waters for vessels that have longline endorsement for golden tilefish.
- During the closure, vessels with a golden tilefish longline endorsement are not eligible to commercially harvest golden tilefish using hook-and line gear and are limited to the recreational bag and possession limits when the recreational sector is open.
- Vessels that do not have longline endorsements, but have South Atlantic snapper-grouper unlimited permits, may harvest golden tilefish commercially until the hook-and-line quota is reached.
- The prohibition on sale or purchase during the closure does not apply to fish that were harvested, landed ashore, and sold prior to 12:01 a.m. on May 9, 2017, and were held in cold storage by a dealer or processor.
- Harvest by the commercial longline component will reopen at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on January 1, 2018.
This bulletin provides only a summary of the existing regulations. Full regulations can be found in the Federal Register or at https://www.ecfr.gov.
NOAA Fisheries Southeast is pleased to announce the introduction of our Text Message Alert Program. The program will allow you to sign up to receive important fishery related alerts via text message. Text alerts you may receive include immediate fishery openings and closures, and any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly.
How to opt-in
Sign up for related alerts for one or more of the following groups. Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries: Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries: Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries: Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries: Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries: Text CARIBFISH to 888777