- Recreational harvest of gray triggerfish in federal waters of the Gulf of Mexico (Gulf) will close at 12:01 am (local time) on August 17, 2018.
- Recreational harvest will remain closed through the end of the year.
WHY THIS CLOSURE IS HAPPENING:
- The 2018 recreational annual catch target is 217,100 pounds. Data indicate that recreational harvest of gray triggerfish has met the annual catch target.
- In accordance with the regulations, NOAA Fisheries must close a fishery when the annual catch target has been met. This closure is needed to prevent overfishing of this species. Overfishing is defined as the annual catch rate being too high.
- As a result, recreational harvest will close in federal waters of the Gulf at 12:01 a.m. (local time) on August 17, 2018, and will remain closed through the end of the year.
DURING THE CLOSURE:
- During the recreational closure, the bag and possession limits for gray triggerfish in or from federal waters of the Gulf are zero.
- The prohibition on possession of Gulf gray triggerfish also applies in Gulf state waters for a vessel issued a valid Federal charter vessel/headboat permit for Gulf reef fish.
SIGN UP FOR TEXT MESSAGE ALERTS - FIND OUT ABOUT IMMEDIATE OPENINGS AND CLOSURES
NOAA's Text Message Alert Program allows you to receive important fishery related alerts via text message (SMS). Standard message & data rates may apply. You may opt-out at any time.
Text alerts you may receive include:
- Immediate fishery openings and closures
- Any significant changes to fishing regulations that happen quickly
Sign up for one or more of the following groups:
- Gulf of Mexico Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFRECFISH to 888777
- Gulf of Mexico Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text GULFCOMMFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Recreational Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLRECFISH to 888777
- South Atlantic Commercial Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text SATLCOMMFISH to 888777
- Caribbean Fisheries Related Alerts
- Text CARIBFISH to 888777
Media: Kim Amendola, 727-551-5707
Allison Garrett, 727-551-5750
Join us every other Friday on NOAA Fish Instagram for Rec Fish Friday!