Getting hands-on work experience is a great way for students to build a resume and experience potential career fields. We offer internships that help students explore careers in Chesapeake Bay-related marine biology, oceanography, environmental education, and more.
In addition to opportunities with the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office (NCBO), NOAA offers additional internship and scholarship opportunities around the country.
Each summer, the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office and Chesapeake Research Consortium team up to offer several paid summer internships primarily for college students. In summer 2020, the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office will offer five internships covering a range of Chesapeake Bay science-related topics. Each paid internship will run 12 weeks (mid-May through mid-August). They are intended for students who will be entering their sophomore, junior, or senior year of college study. There are two different programs.
The Chesapeake-Student Recruitment, Early Advisement and Mentoring (C-StREAM) Program is for college students who identify as people of color and/or who are first-generation college students. Learn more about the C-StREAM program and application process
We will host two interns through this program in summer 2020. The 2020 application deadline has already passed. In future years, we may offer positions similar to these:
- Field Technician: Support our field program through oyster reef monitoring, water column and nearshore habitat monitoring, and acoustic telemetry data collection. Work will be conducted on a range of vessel platforms and sizes; based in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Chesapeake Bay Restoration and Protection Policy: Help to develop an “indicator”—tracking statistics—on forage species that will be used by resource managers as they consider management of pretty for key predators. Based in Annapolis, Maryland.
The NOAA Chesapeake Bay Summer Internship Program lets college students work and learn about science, policy, and education programming. Learn more about the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Summer Internship Program and application process
We will host three interns through this program in summer 2020. The application deadline has already passed. In future years, we may offer positions similar to these:
- Climate Change Indicator Development Support: Identify data and devise ways to use this information in “indicators” that will track trends and progress toward advancing climate resiliency. Based in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Buoy Data Visualization: Help update capabilities for an application that visualizes data from the NOAA Chesapeake Bay Interpretive Buoy System. Based in Annapolis, Maryland.
- Environmental Literacy Database Support: Develop and populate a database that includes georeferenced data and descriptive information about environmental education grant recipients and program participants. Help plan and implement summer teacher workshops and conferences. Based in Oxford, Maryland.
We are committed to supporting a diverse and inclusive science-oriented workforce. We highly encourage applicants from historically black colleges and universities, Hispanic-serving institutions, and tribal colleges and universities
Contact us with questions on any of these Chesapeake Bay internships.