Seafood Month Webinar Series: Talk Story Session: Cultivating a Sustainable Future for Students in Marine Science and Aquaculture
Educators, community partners, and NOAA Fisheries come together for an interactive webinar series during Seafood Month 2020. Join the conversation about sustainable seafood and share your seafood stories throughout the month in a crowdsourced StoryMap.
- Katie Kealoha, Tyson Arasato, and Dana Hoppe, Program Director and Teachers (respectively), Wai‘anae High School Marine Science Learning Center
- Gary Karr, Science Outreach Director, Hawai‘i Pacific University, College of Natural and Computational Sciences at Oceanic Institute
- Tori Spence-McConnell, Regional Aquaculture Specialist, NOAA Pacific Islands Regional Office
Hawai‘i has long been a hub for aquaculture in the Pacific—from renowned loko i‘a (traditional Hawaiian fishpond) systems to cutting-edge cultivation centers in Kona. How are high school students engaging with opportunities in aquaculture to support our communities and a more sustainable future of food? Join us for a talk story session with Hawai‘i Pacific University and Wai‘anae High School Marine Science Learning Center to learn how marine science education is building the next generation of aquaculture practitioners today. NOAA Fisheries’ regional aquaculture specialist Tori Spence-McConnell will share about aquaculture happenings in the region, including funding opportunities for research and education.
This 45-minute event will be hosted on WebEx and will include interactive elements and a chance to ask questions in real time through a moderator.
- Aquaculture in the Pacific Islands
- Video: Applied Learning - Wai'anae High School Marine Science Center
- Ho‘āla Loka I‘a Guidebook - Hawai‘i Department of Land and Natural Resources guidebook that helps cultural practitioners, landowners and community groups navigate the new streamlined application process for Hawaiian fishpond revitalization.
- NOAA Aquaculture Program Newsletter - Sign up to receive the latest updates about aquaculture in the U.S..
- Seafood Stories: Celebrate Seafood Month in the Pacific Islands Region