Social Indicators Publications
Explore NOAA's collection of publications on social indicators.
Ground-truthing Social Vulnerability Indices of Alaska Fishing Communities
- Lavoie, A., K. Sparks, S. Kasperski, A. Himes-Cornell, K. Hoelting, & C. Maguire. 2018. Ground-truthing social vulnerability indices of Alaska fishing communities. Coastal Management, 46(5), 359-387.
Linking Knowledge to Action in Ocean Ecosystem Management: The Ocean Modeling Forum
- Francis, T.B., P.S. Levin, A.E. Punt, I.C. Kaplan, A. Varney, & K. Norman. 2018. Linking knowledge to action in ocean ecosystem management: The ocean modeling forum. Elementa, 6(83), 1-16.
Ecosystem Status Report of the California Current for 2018: A Summary of Ecosystem Indicators compiled by the California Current Integrated Ecosystem Assessment Team (CCIEA)
- Harvey, C., N. Garfield, G. Williams, N. Tolimieri, I. Schroeder, E. Hazen, K. Andrews, K. Barnas, S. Bograd, R. Brodeur, B. Burke, J. Cope, L. deWitt, J. Field, J. Fisher, T. Good, C. Greene, D. Holland, M. Hunsicker, M. Jacox, S. Kasperski, S. Kim, A. Leising, S. Melin, C. Morgan, B. Muhling, S. Munsch, K. Norman, W. Peterson, M. Poe, J. Samhouri, W. Sydeman, J. Thayer, A. Thompson, D. Tommasi, A. Varney, B. Wells, T. Williams, J. Zamon, D. Lawson, S. Anderson, J. Gao, M. Litzow, S. McClatchie, E. Ward, & S. Zador. 2018. Ecosystem status report of the California current for 2018: A summary of ecosystem indicators compiled by the California current integrated ecosystem assessment team (CCIEA). U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-145.
Applying National Community Social Vulnerability Indicators to Fishing Communities in the Pacific Island Region
- Kleiber, D., D. Kotowicz, & J. Hospital. 2018. Applying national community social vulnerability indicators to fishing communities in the Pacific Island region. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NOAA-TM-NMFS-PIFSC-65.
Implementing Ecosystem Approaches to Fishery Management: Risk Assessment in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic
- Gaichas, S.K., G.S. DePiper, R.J. Seagraves, B.W. Muffley, M.G. Sabo, L.L. Colburn, & A.J. Loftus. 2018. Implementing ecosystem approaches to fishery management: Risk assessment in the U.S. Mid-Atlantic. Frontiers in Marine Science, 5(442), 1-25.
Community Participation in U.S. Catch Share Programs
- Colburn, L.L., M. Jepson, A. Himes-Cornell, S. Kasperski, K. Norman, C. Weng, & P.M. Clay. 2017. Community participation in U.S. catch share programs. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-F/SPO-179.
Ecosystem Status Report of the California Current for 2017: A Summary of Ecosystem Indicators Compiled by the California Current Integrated Ecosystem Assessment Team (CCIEA)
- Harvey, C., N. Garfield, G. Williams, K. Andrews, C. Barceló, K. Barnas, S. Bograd, R. Brodeur, B. Burke, J. Cope, L. deWitt, J. Field, J. Fisher, C. Greene, T. Good, E. Hazen, D. Holland, M. Jacox, S. Kasperski, S. Kim, A. Leising, S. Melin, C. Morgan, S. Munsch, K. Norman, W. T. Peterson, M. Poe, J. Samhouri, I. Schroeder, W. Sydeman, J. Thayer, A. Thompson, N. Tolimieri, A. Varney, B. Wells, T. Williams, & J. Zamon. 2017. Ecosystem status report of the California current for 2017: A summary of Ecosystem Indicators compiled by the California current integrated ecosystem assessment team (CCIEA). U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-139.
Indicators of Climate Change and Social Vulnerability in Fishing Dependent Communities along the Eastern and Gulf Coasts of the United States
- Colburn, L.L., M. Jepson, C. Weng, T. Seara, J. Weiss, & J.A. Hare. 2016. Indicators of climate change and social vulnerability in fishing dependent communities along the Eastern and Gulf Coasts of the United States. Marine Policy, 74, 323-333.
Using Socioeconomic and Fisheries Involvement Indices to Understand Alaska Fishing Community Well-Being
- Himes-Cornell, A. & S. Kasperski. 2016. Using socioeconomic and fisheries involvement indices to understand Alaska fishing community well-being. Coastal Management, 44(1), 36-70.
Understanding Vulnerability in Alaska Fishing Communities: A Validation Methodology for Rapid Assessment of Indices Related to Well-Being
- Himes-Cornell, A., C. Maguire, S. Kasperski, K. Hoelting, & R.B. Pollnac. 2016. Understanding vulnerability in Alaska fishing communities: A validation methodology for rapid assessment of indices related to well-being. Ocean & Coastal Management, 124, 53-65.
Taxonomy of USA East Coast Fishing Communities in Terms of Social Vulnerability and Resilience
- Pollnac, R.B., T. Seara, L.L. Colburn, & M. Jepson. 2015. Taxonomy of USA East Coast fishing communities in terms of social vulnerability and resilience. Environmental Impact Assessment Review, 55, 136-143.
Assessing Climate Change Vulnerability in Alaska's Fishing Communities
- Himes-Cornell, A. & S. Kasperski. 2015. Assessing climate change vulnerability in Alaska’s fishing communities. Fisheries Research, 162, 1-11.
Social and Economic Impacts of Hurricane/Post Tropical Cyclone Sandy on the Commercial and Recreational Fishing Industries: New York and New Jersey One Year Later
- Colburn, L.L., P.M. Clay, T. Seara, C. Weng, & A. Silva. 2015. Social and economic impacts of Hurricane/Post Tropical Cyclone Sandy on the commercial and recreational fishing industries: New York and New Jersey one year later. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-F/SPO-157.
Development of Social Indicators of Fishing Community Vulnerability and Resilience in the U.S. Southeast and Northeast Regions
- Jepson, M. & L.L. Colburn. 2013. Development of social indicators of fishing community vulnerability and resilience in the U.S. Southeast and Northeast regions. U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-F/SPO-129, 64 p.
Socioeconomic Indicators for United States Fisheries and Fishing Communities
- Felthoven, R. & S. Kasperski. 2013. Socioeconomic indicators for United States fisheries and fishing communities. PICES Press, 21(2), 20-23.
Social Indicators of Gentrification Pressure in Fishing Communities: A Context for Social Impact Assessment
- Colburn L.L. & M. Jepson. 2012. Social indicators of gentrification pressure in fishing communities: A context for social impact assessment. Coastal Management, 40(3), 289-300.
Job Satisfaction, Well-being, and Change in Southern New England Fishing Communities
- Pollnac, R.B., L.L. Colburn, T. Seara, C. Weng, & K. Yentes. 2011. Job satisfaction, well-being, and change in southern New England fishing communities. Final Report.
Defining Social and Economic Performance Measures for Catch Share Systems in the Northeast U.S
- Clay, P.M., P. Pinto da Silva, & A. Kitts. Defining social and economic performance measures for catch share systems in the Northeast U.S. 2010. IIFET 2010 Montpellier Proceedings.
Measuring Subjective and Objective Well-Being: Analyses from Five Marine Commercial Fisheries
- Smith, C.L. & P.M. Clay. 2010. Measuring subjective and objective well-being: Analyses from five marine commercial fisheries. Human Organization, 69(2), 158-168.
Sociocultural Data Indicators
- Clay, P.M. 1998. Sociocultural data indicators. In: Guidelines for the Routine Collection of Capture Fishery Data. Prepared at an Expert Consultation held at Bankok, Thailand May 18-30, organized and funded by the FAO/DANIDA Project Training in Fish Stock Assessment and Fishery Research Planning GCP/INT/575/DEN. FAO Fisheries Technical Paper No. 382. Rome, FAO.