2021 Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Plan Modifications
With the help of the Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Team, we finalized modifications to the Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Plan to reduce serious injuries and mortalities to right, humpback, and fin whales in 2021.
Phase 1: Northeast Lobster and Jonah Crab Trap/Pot Fishery
On August 31, 2021, we announced the final rule to modify the Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Plan, which is expected to reduce mortalities and serious injuries from fishing gear to North Atlantic right whales, humpback whales, and fin whales. The final rule published in the Federal Register on September 17, 2021.
The gear modifications required by the rule are effective May 1, 2022, which is the start of the American lobster/Jonah crab fishing year.
- Fact Sheet: Changes for Northeast Lobster and Jonah Crab Fisheries (Last Updated 11/17/21)
- Approved Weak Lines and Inserts (Videos and Images)
- Weak Insert and Line Requirements
- Maps of New and Existing Restricted Areas
- Minimum Traps/Trawl Tables
- Maps of Minimum Traps per Trawl for Maine Zones
- All Maps of Minimum Traps for Trawl
- Gear Marking Requirements
- Exempted Fishing Permits
- Ropeless Fishing
Announcement of Final Rule
We held a Press Call on August 31 at 1:30 p.m. EDT.
- Final Rule (Published September 17, 2021)
- Record of Decision
- Pot/Trap Fisheries Regulations to Help Save North Atlantic Right Whales Announced
- Press Call Information
- Press Release
Final Environmental Impact Statement
A Notice of Availability of the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) analyzing alternative modifications to the Atlantic Large Whale Take Reduction Plan was published in the Federal Register on July 2, 2021. The FEIS (Volume I, Volume II, Volume III) is available for viewing and download.
Draft Environmental Impact Statement
- Message from Chris Oliver, Assistant Administrator for Fisheries
- Fact Sheet: Summary of Risk Reduction Proposed Rule
- Public Informational Sessions (January 12, 2021 - January 20, 2021)
- Public Hearings (February 16, 2021 - February 24, 2021)
- Slides from January Information Sessions (January/February 2021)
- Submit Comments (by March 1, 2021)