North Pacific Observer Program 2016 Annual Report
This Annual Report provides information, analysis, and recommendations based on the deployment of observers by the North Pacific Observer Program (Observer Program) during 2016.
The Observer Program provides the regulatory framework for National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS)-certified observers to obtain information necessary to conserve and manage the groundfish and halibut fisheries in the Gulf of Alaska (GOA) and the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) management areas. Data collected by well-trained, independent observers are a cornerstone of management of the Federal fisheries off Alaska. These data are needed by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (Council) and NMFS to comply with the Magnuson–Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, the Endangered Species Act, and other applicable Federal laws and treaties.
Each year NMFS releases an Annual Deployment Plan (ADP) that describes how NMFS plans to deploy observers to vessels and processors in the partial observer coverage category in the upcoming year. The following year, the agency provides an Annual Report with descriptive information and scientific evaluation the deployment of observers. The ADP and Annual Report process provides information to assess whether the objectives of the Observer Program have been met and a process to make recommendations to improve implementation of the program to further these objectives.
- North Pacific Observer Duties
- North Pacific Observer Program Training & Briefing
- North Pacific Observer Program Training Schedule
- North Pacific Observer Program Permitted Providers
- North Pacific Observer Pre-Class Reading Material
- North Pacific Observer Sampling Manual
- What is a North Pacific Groundfish and Halibut Observer Brochure
- North Pacific Observer Resources
- North Pacific Observer Program Annual Deployment Plans
- North Pacific Observer Program Annual Reports
- North Pacific Observer Vessel / Plant Operator FAQ
- North Pacific Observer Vessel / Plant Operator Comment Form
- Electronic Monitoring FAQs
- Rules and Notices
- Regulatory Analyses