The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) requires federal agencies to carefully consider the impacts of their proposed actions on the environment and incorporate these considerations into their decision-making processes. These action agencies must submit their proposed project plans to other federal agencies and to the public for review and comment. This is to ensure that the public has a role in the decision-making process and in implementing the decision.
NEPA also established the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) to act in an advisory capacity for the President on environmental matters. CEQ established regulations to assist federal agencies in implementing NEPA. These regulations, along with specific federal agency NEPA implementation procedures, help to ensure that the environmental impacts of proposed decisions are fully considered, the public has opportunities for input, and that appropriate steps are taken to mitigate potential environmental impacts.
For more information, see our NEPA overview page.
West Coast Region NEPA Documents Currently Available for Public Review
- Pacific Sardine Rebuilding Plan--Draft Environmental Assessment (comments close April 15, 2021)
- Skykomish Summer Steelhead Hatchery Program and Sunset Falls Trap and Haul Program--Draft Environmental Assessment (comments close March 8, 2021)
- Notice of Intent To Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement for the Western Oregon State Forests Habitat Conservation Plan (comments close April 21, 2021)
- Amendment 20 to the Pacific Coast Salmon Fishery Management Plan: Proposed Changes to the Preseason Schedule and Klamath Management Zone Boundary (comments close April 12, 2021)
West Coast Region EIS/EA Documents by Major Category
- Groundfish Fishery Management Plan
- Highly Migratory Species Fishery Management Plan
- Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission
- Pacific Halibut Fishery Management Plan
- Salmon Fishery Management Plan
- ESA section 4(d) Rules
- ESA section 10(a)(1)(A) scientific research and enhancement permits
- ESA section 10(a)(1)(B) Habitat Conservation Plans/Incidental Take Permits
- ESA section 10(j) Experimental Population Designations
- Hatcheries/Hatchery Genetic Management Plans
- Marine Mammals
- Other Marine Species