Incidental Take Authorization: U.S. Navy Training Activities in the Gulf of Alaska Study Area
2023 Letter of Authorization
NOAA Fisheries has issued a Letter of Authorization (LOA) to the U.S. Navy for the take of marine mammals incidental to military readiness activities conducted in the Gulf of Alaska Study Area.
2023 Final Rule
NOAA Fisheries, upon request from the U.S. Navy, issued regulations to govern the taking of marine mammals incidental to the training activities conducted in the Gulf of Alaska Study Area. The Navy’s activities qualify as military readiness activities under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, as amended by the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2004. These regulations, which allow for the issuance of Letters of Authorization for the incidental take of marine mammals during the described activities and timeframes, prescribe the permissible methods of taking and other means of effecting the least practicable adverse impact on marine mammal species and their habitat, and establish requirements for monitoring and reporting of such taking.
- Letter of Authorization (pdf, 22 pages)
- Revised Application, February 2022 (pdf, 311 pages)
- Application, October 2020 (pdf, 302 pages)
- Public Comments
- Environmental Impact Statement
- Record of Decision (pdf, 16 pages)
- Biological Opinion
- Notification and Reporting Plan (pdf, 4 pages)
- References, Proposed Rule (pdf, 42 pages)
- References, Final Rule (pdf, 46 pages)